July 28, 2008

Wait, did you say 40?

Ask you average person, hell, your average pregnant person, how long women are pregnant for and they will tell you nine months. Movie titles are based on this and the whole world seems to trust this number. It's like the 52 week year, or the 162 game season. So tell me again how it is that my wife is now 40 weeks pregnant?

Her belly is larger than I would have ever thought possible and you can literally see the baby's head sitting on top of her pelvis...waiting to take the plunge. Every day now we assume that we will witness the birth of "two" and every day we go to bed disappointed or happy, depending on whose camp you are in. I can't wait to meet her, but each day she doesn't arrive is another full night of sleep. My wife on the other hand just wants her out, out, out.

We keep putting ourselves in situations that we can look back on and say, "wow, that was stupid" when we tell the story of "two's" birth day. Today, Dani and I played tennis for two hours leaving Kristen alone. Yesterday we drove out to the Poconos (about an hour and a half drive) just to have lunch, let Annie eat her first handfulls of sand, and turn around to come back again. On Saturday my mother in law and I went out for a walk with our dogs and forogt to take our cell phones with us. All this, so that we can force my wife in to labor by being toally unprepared and irresponsible. Pretty smart, no? I think tonight we are going to drive down to Washington, DC to see some friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger DoulaMomma said...

make a meatloaf, start refinishing a piece of furniture, start painting a room...anything that it would be a hassle to stop doing! ;-)
(I blogged on this very topic recently: http://doulamomma.blogspot.com/2008/07/cue-tom-petty.html)

July 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Gallo said...

hello unfinished,
i found your blog on doulamomma's blog. my husband and i just welcomed our number two, only 13 months after number one, so we can relate. i was 41 1/2 weeks when number two finally started her journey out -- ask doulamomma about the castor oil eggs! best of luck to all of you! happy laboring!

July 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Unfinished Dad said...

Hello Elizabeth Gallo. Provided that you are not my mother in law (playing a joke), this is a very small world as the two of you share the same name. Any chance your middle name is Leigh?

ps-I saw the castor oil and eggs and loved it, but I think we may on our way to Mo'town today.

July 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Gallo said...

WOW! My middle name is not Leigh -- so it is indeed a small world! I'm Lucy's mom from doulamomma's blog. I'm following your blogcontractions, and I'm sending you and unfinishedwife all my good labor vibes. Everyone needs to breathe. How about the name Fiona? (My husband always wanted to use this one...)

July 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home