October 15, 2007

Mostly better...Omar's Wisdom

We made it through Annie’s first illness mostly unscathed. Normally weekends are a time for my wife and me to split shifts so that I get a little rest. But due to Annie’s plugged up nose, she slept a lot less than usual. So instead of a relaxing weekend, all three of us were up both nights. The good news is that Annie hasn’t had a fever since very early Saturday morning. Most of her residual boogers (I need a term for this that I’m comfortable with. Mucus only reminds me of those horrible commercials with the green guy that takes up residence in people lungs. Snot sounds too street. And boogers makes me feel like a two year old) are gone, but this morning she is holding on to a bit of her cough.

The question at hand now, is whether or not to send her to Dad’s day out tomorrow. There’s a very strong chance that that is where she got sick in the first place, so I have no qualms about one of those little snot-nose (see?) baby’s getting their due. However, if Annie’s immune system is still on the fritz, I don’t want to further tax it. Of even greater importance is that I’m playing golf on Thursday, so I certainly can’t have her too sick for Dad’s day out then. I guess I just selfishly answered the question. Looks like me and the little one are spending some extra quality time this week.

A quick Wire update for all of you fans out there. As I stated earlier, season one was a tour de McNulty, easily making my top five TV shows of all time. However, in keeping with the show’s attention to detail, all of the cast of characters who did the people in power wrong and were cast off, have been slowly coming back together in season two. This has made for a much mellower first eight episodes and if we were watching it in real time (once a week) I think I would be pretty disappointed. We are fortunate enough though to have the advantage of knowing that not only does the show continue on for three more seasons, but that the next step up in amplitude this season is only one click of the remote away.

One minor complaint: The descriptions of each episode on the main menu and back of each box are way too detailed. My wife reads so quickly that she often spoils the episode for herself just seconds before we view it. I have taken to covering her eyes while I queue them up.

Two minor indulgences: First, we love the quotes at the beginning of each episode and have taken to pausing the credits to guess who will be making them. I have the only correct guess so far…Ziggy: Season Two, Episode Eight. Second, in the scene where Omar is on the stand helping to put away Bird, he is told by Maurice Levy (Avon’s leech of an attorney) that he is amoral for feeding off of the people who are themselves stealing the “lifeblood of our city.” Omar’s ensuing wisdom, “Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase,” and Levy’s genuine shock make up one of many understated exchanges that make me love this show.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie G said...

I love it! First, I feel like I've spent a week with you and Annie (accept I got to sleep). Second, I feel like maybe I've missed one of the all time great shows. The Wire, hmmm...

October 15, 2007 at 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would slash your tires if my kid got sick from your kid in daycare because you wanted to golf.

October 15, 2007 at 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home