August 11, 2008

Frayed at the ends

When you have a newborn you learn how to function on less sleep than you ever imagined. Suddenly, a typical night is about four hours of shut eye. At first you don't think that you can function as a contributing member of your family, let alone society. Then something strange happens and a two hour stretch of sleep starts to feel like a lot. I'm in this stage right now. Don't get me wrong, I feel like shit, but all I need is one continuous stretch of 120 minutes at night and I'm good to go. The rest of the night I'm up constantly, yet I can usually pass for a showered, clean clothes wearing adult the next day.

That being said, it doesn't take much to derail the whole thing. And I'm finding out that a one year old is the definition of much. If Annie throws the proverbial wrench in the day's proceedings, my wife and I are both done for. As I'm writing, she is zonked out on the couch with Matilda in her arms and I am sneaking in 20 minutes with you before Annie wakes up and kicks our asses again.

Today, Annie decided that her lunch would consist only of bananas. She managed to turn a simple activity into a one hour ordeal that ended with her in tears and me on janitorial duty.

I guess that most parents go through a phase where they feed their children one thing all the time in order to keep the peace. I am determined to avoid this...for now anyway. Annie of course has other ideas. More and more, anything that is not fruit gets rejected by my little Dikembe Motumbo. I'm quite sure that this photo says it all. Annie/Bananas:1. Dad/Vegetable Soup:0.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Eco School said...

Hmmm I guess that splat mat finally came in handy.

August 14, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home