September 3, 2008

Back from the beach.

Well, as I have told ya’ll before I am wont to procrastinate. Despite my love of writing I really need to drag myself back when I take time off. Today, being a monumental day in my family’s world, I thought I would give you an update.

I started a new job this morning at what I will henceforward refer to as a “hip local retailer.” Many of you know that I had worked for JCrew for many years. However, while my wife is on maternity leave we are in need of health insurance. Cobra for a family is around $1300 a month. Wow. Consequently, I was looking to come out of retirement. My criteria were health insurance, very little responsibility, a limited schedule, and a fun environment. I thus landed in “hip local retailer’s” stock room, and at 7 o’clock this morning my life as a stay at home dad ended, albeit temporarily.

The more important aspect of this new turn of events is that my wife became a stay at home mom today. And I’m happy to say that she kicked staying at home’s ass. I remember how I felt last year when I embarked on this journey and my heart went out to her all day while I was folding abnormally small jeans. Who has ever heard of a 25 inch waist? When I got home from work the big sister was napping and everyone else in the house was smiling. It was a big relief.

So while I earned $12 an hour, my wife earned her keep in the traditional way. I’m such a man, no?

There are a couple of updates for you here at Unfinished Dad. First, Matilda is allergic to the protein in cow’s milk and after a little stint in the hospital while we were on vacation—everything is fine, I promise—we now have her on special formula. Yes, it is four times as expensive as the regular kind.

Second, I am going to reduce my posting schedule. From now on you can find posts here only two days a week. This is sad, no? My off days are Tuesday and Thursday, so this is when you will see new material here. The idea is that you will get quality instead of quantity. Of course, as with anything else here, if the schedule doesn’t work, we’ll just change it. I am, after all, the boss.

See you tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger DoulaMomma said...

Yay - you're back!
Is casein the problem for Matilda? Have you all considered goats' milk formula? I think they might sell it at Whole Foods.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/casein_sensitivity.htm

Or, if it's for her health won't insurance pay for the special stuff?

September 3, 2008 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger The Eco School said...

Lot's of sheep and goats here in NZ... maybe you should move here (for the health of your daughter of course).

September 4, 2008 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger DoulaMomma said...

I think that formula I'm talking about is from NZ!

September 4, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home